Thursday, October 16, 2008

Phoenix to El Paso

At the Wilcox Rest Stop -- mom took these pictures, too. I am still working on downloading my pictures... I will add them in soon.

We're driving along and watching the black lava rocks all over the ground -- looking like someone has come through with a blow torch and blackened these little rocks. My mom suggested we could collect some really cool rocks if we pulled over, but that wasn't going to happen -- even though I really do like to collect cool rocks.

This reminds me of the stretch between Northridge and Chatsworth on the train when you travel from LA to Oxnard. (Yes, that would be the one where the crash was a month or so ago.)

As we were passing these fantastic rock formations that looked like some giant had been walking around making stacks, I noticed a police car with all lights flashing and then smoke. On the median there was a little fire. Then we saw three more little fires as if someone had been coming through and dropping lit cigarettes out the window. Luckily it didn't look like it would turn into a raging fires.

So, when we came upon a rest stop in this landscape, we pulled over and took a ton of pictures. As fantastic as all this was -- there was more. First there were the signs warning of scorpions and snakes. Then there was the busload of tourists (from I am not sure where) who excitedly ran towards a semi to snap pictures of it. At first I thought they were just taking pictures of the rocks behind the semi, when I realized that it was the semi that they were snapping, I thought it was just one crazy tourist. Then they all started posing in front of the semi. To each his own.

Mom taking the sunset from the car...


The sun was setting and the colors were beautiful. You kind of have to imagine this 10 times better than it came out on the photo.

No comments: