Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sunrise in Santa Fe

We had quite an eventful first 24 hours in Santa Fe.


My dad woke up not feeling well the morning after we had arrived in Santa Fe. Apparently he had not felt well all night, but didn't think he should wake us. He wondered if we should cut the trip short. My mom found his nitroglycerin tabs in the bathroom. He admitted he had a hard time catching his breath and thought he might be having a heart attack.

He felt bad but didn't have chest pains or shortness of breath so I knew that he wasn't having a heart attack as we were talking to him -- and that it was possible that he was just having a bad reaction to the elevation. I did some research online about local hospitals and altitude sickness -- then I spent an hour on the phone with a lovely nurse. She was pretty sure that it was a bad reaction to the change in altitude but we both agreed everyone would be happier if we got him checked out at the hospital.


I waited another hour for the insurance company to open so that I could find out if there was a particular hospital that was covered. Since we were out of area, she said any would do. So far I was two for two on nice, helpful people on the phone. Given our semi-panicked state, it was great fortune to happen on such wonderful people via phone.


We trekked over to the hospital, happily only three miles away from our hotel, where the emergency room sat on the top of a little hill -- with valet parking. Needing a little air, I declined the valet, dropped off my parents and walked back from the parking. I needed a little reassurance from someone who I actually know, so I called a friend, who was willing to lend a supportive ear and verbal reassurance. It was like getting a long distance hug.


The emergency room was EMPTY. I was ready to settle down and read Harry Potter for a few hours, I got to the emergency room as my dad was being called back -- my mother was wondering when they would ask for her insurance card. After a short history, a check of blood pressure and oxygen level, my dad was in a room and very shortly we were chatting with a doctor.


The doctor also thought this was a case of bad reaction to change in altitude but we all agreed (my father more reluctantly than the rest of us) to go through with all the tests just to be sure.


There was virtually no waiting -- and within another hour, we got the all clear. I have never met so many helpful, attentive medical professionals all in one place. There must have been seven or eight people who came in to help.


My father swiped a specimen jar as his recuerdo -- my mom and I just shook our heads and laughed -- relieved that it was all going to be ok.

No comments: